Thank you for all of you who joined us at our meeting in January. We had a wonderful time visiting, hearing about each others holiday, seeing some wonderful show and tell and spending time sewing.
Hawaiian Quilt Demo
Mahalo to Denise for an amazing demo on the Hawaiian quilt method. Can’t wait to try cutting out some of those patterns using their snowflake method.
RECAP OF JANUARY MEETING
Vignette Stitches Club: Magazines are available if you need to borrow one. Please speak to Beth.
Charity Quilts UPDATE:
Once again we need to thank Janet for all the wonderful quilting she has done to prepare our charity quilts.
Thank you also to Carla G who found another charity quilt that today is on it’s way to it’s new home. Linda Boz., thank you for delivering the quilt and the suggestion for the quilt’s new home.
* If you know of someone who is in need of the comfort a quilt can bring, please bring that name and situation forward.
* Trish and Carla G. will be preparing some labels for the quilts.
* Thank you to Shirley, Linda deBe, Pat, and Linda Bur. for offering to help put the bindings on.
* If you would like to prepare a label for one of the charity quilts you are working on, please ensure it says “Made with Love by The Flying Needles Quilt Guild”
* If you are gifting a quilt to someone specific, please include a little card with the quilt.
CHARITY QUILT NEED:
We are in need of backing fabric for some of our quilts (61″x75″) and 1/2m of binding to accompany it.
Next Instalment of Charity Work:
Idea #1: If you wish to participate, you would contribute a rectangle block/panel of some sort. Each round a border would be added all the way around – like a round robin. These would be made into a quilt.
Idea #2: Using an orphan block we would add to it until it became a placemat (13″x17″).
In FEBRUARY bring your orphan panel or rectangle/block to guild and the next round will be decided. Remember to leave a 1/4″ seam allowance around the block/panel.
* Meals on Wheels for the placemat (13″x17″)
* Neo Natal Quilts: 30″x30″. Need a pocket on the back to fit a 4″x6″ photograph
Heritage Park Quilt Show May 24-25, 2014
Mary will purchase some tickets for the dinner. If you wish to attend the dinner this year please contact Mary.
At Pioneer Ranch Camps in Sundre. Fee is $200. The retreat quilt for this retreat is the GREAT JELLY ROLL RACE.
In Other News….
* Linda McK will have her garden featured in an issue of the Garden West Magazine. I’ll let you know the issue as soon as I find out.
* If you have ANY (any size or color) flannelette that you are able to donate to Ujamma grammas please bring them to the next guild meeting and pass them along to Linda deBe.
February Meeting: Feb. 8, 2014
Join Jen on a trip to Japan to learn the Japanese quilting technique called Sashiko (SASH i KO) – (i as in it).
Set Up: Riske, Linda deBe, Susan G, Kelly B.